September 10, 2009
Kelley is at OSF now (as of yesterday) which is a safer place if we need to deliver early. No big changes with toxemia labs or bp's. I have developed something called Bells Palsy which basically makes the right side of my face droop. I quite literally have lost half my smile. It should fix itself with sometime. Hoping sooner than later. The Bells Palsy is not related to the other issues but seems to be a coincidence.
The first 24 hours at OSF were eventful to say the least. On Wednesday evening, Jeff made a comment that one side of my face looked swollen. I said that I had gotten my first steroid shot on that side so it was probably just a reaction. Jeff and other visitors came and went and my sister Sherrill dropped by late that evening. We were chatting and she asked....
"Are you talking to me funny on purpose?"
I looked at her like she was crazy, not knowing what she was referring to. She had me do a few things and I could tell she was getting worried and she told me I needed to have someone come in. The right side of my face was drooping!
PANIC!
STROKE??
WHAT NOW???
A resident came in and called for a neurologist who told me he was certain that I had Bells Palsy. A call to the OB and another neurologist visit confirmed that this is what they thought was happening. The following morning I asked my OB why and how long would it last.
"Probably six months........it may never go away."
Sad........Very very sad and frustrated. I caught myself asking "why".
And by Friday night as I looked at myself through a mirror doing speech exercises....
Tears......
I am the girl who always stays positive and always does one thing in life....SMILE!
I had lost half my smile............I had lost a part of me.
No comments:
Post a Comment