The morning of September 12 was quiet and I was told it was going to stay quiet and more importantly that there was no way we were having a baby this weekend. Even the specialist can't predict how it will actually happen!
Around four or five that afternoon I had my monitoring time. This happened three to four times a day. Although I loved getting to hear Ella's heartbeat these monitoring times were kind of long. My babies are just lazy in utero! Connor took forever to pass his non-stress tests and Ella was no different. The nurses would have me drink soda and eat cookies (even though I was on a special diet) trying to get Ella to move and excel her heart rate the required number of times. Short 20 minute monitoring spells would last at least an hour most times.
Well on this evening, the monitoring was not going well at all. The tricks of the nurses were not able to get Ella moving. My nurse told me she was going to have the resident come in and do a sonogram and in the meanwhile she was calling my OB.
"Your 24 hour urine test results are back and they are REALLY high."
How high??? I asked.
"Over 8,000."
WOAH!! One week earlier they had been 800. A normal range is around 150 to 200.
The resident came in and did the sonogram. Ella wasn't passing. Finally in the last possible seconds she made a few gross moves but the resident wasn't pleased.
The next thing I know a nurse came in and gave me a gown and said "You need to change, we are moving you to labor and delivery."
I looked at her with much much confusion and simply asked why. She said she couldn't tell me.
So now I just have a giant pit in my stomach. I was on the phone with my mom and told her maybe she should head to the hospital. My sister Jenny walked in with bow gifts she had gotten at the Marigold Festival and Jeff told her what was happening. She immediately went to the phone to call my siblings, especially the two who were headed to Indy for a Colts weekend.
Before long my nurse came in and said "You need to be prepared to have a baby by 9:00 tonight. The specialist has recommended to Dr. G that you be delivered and he agreed."
WOW!!! SHOCK!! It was already close to 6:30. Phone calls started happening to all who needed to know.
The next couple of hours were filled with A LOT of sticks as they could not find a vein for my IV. I needed to have some magnesium pushed through really quickly to settle my central nervous system. They thought the toxemia would get worse and there was a possibility of me having a seizure. Many people tried and many people had no luck. I am starting to panic and so is my nurse. I can see it in her eyes. A doctor who used to be an army medic came in to try one more time. I remember asking "what if you can't get an IV in?" He replied the next step would be a central line. Again, I am praying please please get it in! He did!! They push the meds and things were moving along quickly.
Lots of family was there. Our parents and siblings all waited in the waiting room. We felt so loved!
I had one question on my mind....
Will she cry???
I was headed to surgery. I was never so happy to see Dr. Jack. He took one look at my worried face and told me "We have to do this Kelley. You are going to be fine and so is she." I already felt so much better.
Very soon I had the answer to my question.
She cried......
It was the most beautiful sound ever! A little tiny squeaky cry could be heard through the room. I cried myself. God is GOOD!!
No comments:
Post a Comment