As I reflect on our stay in the NICU, there are many things that come to mind. First and foremost the NICU is an amazing place! Every nurse and doctor cared deeply for our family and got to know us. They knew our concerns, goals, and story and they made each day count for our sweet girl. We can't say thank you enough to the wonderful staff that took such amazing care of Ella. We owe them the world for giving Ella such an amazing start in life!
The nurses--
Wow! Amazing! Sooo Caring!!
We had some of the best nurses. We definitely had a favorite too! Although we could say we had lots of favorites! Everyone who took care of Ella did an amazing job. They helped us to understand what was happening and what would take place next. They were also teaching us and preparing us to take a tiny baby home. I was so scared and overwhelmed the first week in the NICU. I remember looking at the other moms and thinking...
How are they so good at this?
How do they know what to do?
Will I ever be able to figure this out?
Each day I grew more comfortable and each day I learned more. I felt more like a mom each day. Our nurses prepared us to take great care of our girl when we took her home. Beyond educating us, the nurses cared for us. One of our favorite nurses was with us a lot. I was always excited to see she was taking care of Ella. She went over and above for our family. She knew I wanted Connor to be able to hold Ella on his birthday. One day I fed Ella and put her back to bed. I left the room to go pump and came back and saw the nurse doing Ella's footprints. She said Ella didn't want to sleep so she said "if you don't nap then we are having craft time." She helped Ella make the sweetest birthday card for Connor. Something Connor and I will cherish FOREVER. She cheered Ella on to her final seconds during her car seat test and encouraged us every step of the way as parents. She would go to bat for us with the doctors and she cared! I was also amazed how so many got to know our story. They were aware of how we came up with the name Ella Rose and how Ella means beautiful fairy (that was the icing on the cake for choosing her name--she is named after both her great grandmother Mary Ellen and Rosemary). They called her little Tink at times too. They also were all so excited to hear all about Connor getting to hold her on his birthday. They made everything count!! The NICU nurses are guardian angels who take care of God's tiniest but biggest blessings! We are so thankful for their compassion and dedication to the families who walk through their doors.
The same could be said for the wonderful Neonatologists. Again they left no stone unturned and they took amazing care of Ella. Our neo Dr. "C" loved Ella Rose from the start. We were thankful for her concern, care, and encouragement.
We were especially thankful to have a NICU so close to home. Between Jeff and I someone went to see Ella three times a day. I could not imagine being any further away from her and I feel so blessed to have such amazing resources in the Peoria area. Our family will continue to support the Children's Hospital of Illinois through the years. We are so thankful for their commitment to our little ones.
Although I would never wish anyone to have to visit the NICU---
What I know is that it is an amazing place. It is an amazing feeling to be a part of the NICU family. God provided for our family when we needed him most and introduced us to amazing people who make a big difference for God's miracles.
Our NICU experience also opened an amazing door in our lives. Jeff and I have know each other a long time. In our elementary years we were both good friends with a dear friend Andrea. Our lives went in different directions only seeing each other once in awhile but years later we all ended up sharing a room in the NICU. Andrea and Eric had delivered twins a few weeks before Ella arrived. Andrea was a mentor and an example to me in the NICU. She helped answer questions and it was so encouraging to celebrate all three of our girls progress. Our NICU stay opened the door to a renewed friendship and I am forever grateful. Our girls share a very special bond and I am so happy to know that they will grow up to be friends just as their parents were once childhood friends.
Our NICU stay was for the most part very happy and good but the NICU is also a place of an emotional roller coaster for many parents. Beyond Ella and the twins, we also knew triplets from our church who were also in the NICU. It was very ironic to know so many preemies all at once. There were days when we walked in to see friends in tears sharing with their loved ones how one baby had a rough morning with desaturations and another evening to see a family gathered as there was evidence of a brain bleed. Preemies are delicate and do things on their own time and schedule. Their bodies are asked to do so much more than they are ready to do and for their parents and family it is a roller coaster of highs and lows. God provided for all our special preemie friends and we are so thankful. Pray for the preemies who fight daily battles in the NICU and pray for their families who make sense of the NICU world.
We were amazed with how well Ella did in the NICU. God gave us what we could handle. As I reflect back and think how ill I was after having Ella, I know God gave us exactly what we could handle at that time. Our hiccups came a bit later but God was easing us into the medical world to prepare our hearts and minds for the future. Little ones are truly God's greatest gifts. Bringing so much joy and love!!
Kelley! You made me cry.
ReplyDelete